400 members

noisechannel.orgForumsGeneral400 members

This topic has 21 voices, contains 33 replies, and was last updated by Avatar of spry spry 1987 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
November 23, 2011 at 1:52 pm #2324
mikeeteevee

So which of those are realbies and who are bots huh?

I’ll poster first myself.

I’m Michael Television. I from South-London in the UK. I’ve been gaming from pretty much as soon as I could hold a peripheral. I started with an Atari 2600 and our first ‘computer’ (which really just served as a games machine was the Spectrum 48k and I got to play on the Acorn Electron, Commodore 64, Atari St and Amiga. I moved onto the Sega Master System, NES, SNES, Mega Drive and saved for my first DMG from every bit of money I saved.

I started building my own computers and lost a couple of jobs to too many hours playing Starcraft and Diablo II.

I started writing music with MIDI and a friend using an Atari ST and fucked around with a pal using Mod Plug Tracker. I moved into hardware synths and eventually become part of the software revolution with Cubase and Logic, writing rock/hip-hop/electro band called Michael Television’s Interloper (have a couple of songs, attached)

I recorded 75 episodes in just over a year with http://www.controllerthrow.com – a podcast about video games and gaming culture and hosted an LSDJ Showdown with the help of Freque. I own two xbox 360s, a PS3 and I have a shiny graphics card.

Now I’m finally picking up a DMG and starting to write music rather than just being an infant critique from the backseats.

Personally, I love watching Asian horror, love typography and design and brutal noisy music. I work in IT cross-platform for Mac and PC support.

Now you know enough about me, who the fucketh be you, gentle reader?

November 23, 2011 at 9:38 pm #2330
vcmg

I’m Vincent Chang, aka VCMG. I come from and currently live in Southern California, in the greater Los Angeles area. I’ve only been gaming for about 5 years, since my parents used to be those ultra-strict Asian parents. But anyway, I started with the Wii, and then got into PC gaming. I actually already owned a GBC and a GBA, but it never stuck to me.

I got involved with music when I started violin lessons at 5 years old. Piano lessons started the year after that and French horn in 6th grade (hey, I’m Asian). I also taught myself drums and some assorted wind instruments.

I started actually writing music at about the same time, although it was with an old copy of Cakewalk Studio, and the stuff I wrote sucked big balls. I moved on to Sibelius for a while, and then Garageband. The stuff I made in Garageband was semi-decent. It wasn’t till I picked up a DMG last year that my songwriting skills really developed.

I love video games, especially shmups and action games. I also love astronomy and dabble a bit in computers, but not much.

November 24, 2011 at 4:11 am #2331
polarbirds

Sup!?

My name is Marcus Korneliusson and I come from Gothenburg, Sweden. I’m 24 years old and I’ve been dating the beautiful Square wave for a couple of years now… She can be pretty needy some of the time but she’s a trustworthy companion when it really matters.

Ok…I’ll tell you the story. “WARNING” (might be long and boring)

I began my music adventures at the age of 12-13 with some drum lessons. I guess I thought drums were a little “cooler” than other instruments since you have more stuff to play with, sorta,hehe. It took me about 3-4 years to realize that I did not suit very well in a band/group. I had a certain idea of what everything should sound like and when it did not i got dissapointed, haha. I was never a very good drummer anyway.

So I took a brief hiatus from music-making. At the age of 16-17 I met a guy who showed me this music program (Fruity loops) and I was in love again. I began to write strange minimal/progressive house and techno (that’s what I was into at the time). I was never really satisfied with my music back then when I first started using FL…something was still missing…what was it!?!? In my last year of highschool I finally met my true love, the square wave and all of her friends.

PolarBirds was born, DUM DUM DI DUM!

In the spring of 2011 PolarBirds and the Square wave found their way to 8bc.org and later that fall they came here :)

Well, that’s roughly how I started and there is still ton’s of thing’s to learn and experience… exccccciting!!!

A pleasure to meet ya’ll and I hope to see you around!

Love, peace and hippie grease!

@VCMG So, I guess “VCMG” stands for “Vincent Chang the Music Genius”??? Haha, just kidding but I really do want to know what it stand for :) Cheers!

November 24, 2011 at 6:05 am #2332
mikeeteevee

@VCMG hah! I remember Cakewalk. The joke was always that it wasn’t exactly a cakewalk to use initially. I always found that with the earlier software. There didn’t seem to a way to use the growing software ability to do something useful. Acid Pro came along and that was definately more up my street. Time stretching loops and phrases. Cutting it all up into pieces. Lovely.

@polarbirds Ah, Fruity Loops. That was another ground breaking piece of software for me. I feel like I was lost, slap bang in the middle of the decreasing hardware requirements and software development.

November 24, 2011 at 10:12 am #2335
idevourstatic

Greetings,

my chosen pseudonyme is idevourstatic, my first friend was a clunky atari 2600 upon which I used to mainly play “Defender” I must have been a malicious child as I always derived far more pleasure from alowing the people being abducted to plumit to their death than actualy saving them *grin*…but he was soon replaced with an A500 of which i still own and utilise the CDTV teeshirt that was included.

I am 25 earth years of age, and also, enjoy creating brutal, hissing, crushing Doomscapes as well as chip tunes ofc ^_^.

The SID chip irreparably corrupted my fragile 5y/o mind and henseforth my passion for music was sparked, the first song that truely captivated me was the soundtrack to “Dizzy: Prince of the YolkFolk” by 4mat, listen to it now.

I own a couple’a C64s (c64 & c64c), the very same A500, a number of GBs ranging from my first DMG to my GBA-sp covered in medical “to be burned” tape & a microkorg lovingly named “korg-Bert”

As far as my musical contributions go, they are some what non existent as my aged Dell desktop though it best to have a serious lapse in memory and purge itself of any/all vital informartion. but I managed to salvage some songs from various myspace accounts. ( they are on my sound cloud)

I live in the deep dark depths of C=ornwall and have recently moved from one quadrant of the county to another.

Hello hello and and and….

~no-3y3s

November 24, 2011 at 10:18 am #2338
vcmg

@polarbirds Nah, the MG doesn’t stand for anything. I just thought it was a cool combination of letters.

November 24, 2011 at 3:34 pm #2355
mikeeteevee

@idevourstaic Loving your style. Cornwall is the birthplace of Aphex Twin and we know what a legend that guy is. That whole coast sound is inspiring.

November 24, 2011 at 7:03 pm #2357
idevourstatic

Thank’ye kindly Sir, and ye, I think there is somthing in the air down ‘ere turns us all weird mwhahahahaha *grin*

November 25, 2011 at 12:35 pm #2381
nestrogen

Nestrogen here. Just dropping in to say hello. That is all for now.

November 25, 2011 at 1:42 pm #2400
dylanbrochill

im dylan. ive been into music since i was 12, im now 20. i started off in a real shitty death metal band, then moved on to electronic music using fl studio. still use it to this day as blueprints for LSDJ songs. i started using lsdj 2 years ago. if theres any music theory i know, i taught myself. im not a really big gamer, more of the casual type. while music is my first love, i need to play soccer and basketball to keep myself sane. my lsdj tracks are typically generic 4/4 house to unce tracks. if i write anything it has to be something i can dance to.

November 26, 2011 at 2:54 am #2404
Dire Hit

Hi, i’m aegis. I’ve just started lsdj two months ago, so i’m still leanring. A lot. Quickly. I’m self taught at piano, ocarina and very soon, accordian.

November 27, 2011 at 12:04 pm #2409
wheely

Wheely is lurking around here. I do some fakebit stuff in FL Studio and try to achieve a variety of different sounding tunes.

November 27, 2011 at 6:39 pm #2416
idevourstatic

@nestrogen : Hello Nestrogen, that is all for now.

@dylanbrochill : I liked your song “ABANDONEDDEMO” as for the practice of sports to keep yourself sane, each to their own I guess… If I dont wear my tinfoil hat and chew on the leg of a Barbie doll I would go insane.

@aegissystems : Hello and welcome, looking forward to hearing your beats. Also, I like your data bent forest pic.

@wheely : hallo we talked earlyer, enjoyed your nightclub boss musix.

November 27, 2011 at 11:52 pm #2455
parallelis

Hey, Peoples! I’m Parallelis (Jesse Rolfe). I’m 16 years old, I live in Upstate New York, and I’ve been making chip music on the LSDJ for like….half a year now. I play piano, accordion (@aegissystems eff yeah!), clarinet, and alto saxophone

Before LSDJ I made music on garageband. Bad stuff. Hear it here: http://soundcloud.com/axiomite/sets

As a kid I spent most of my time watching my brother play video games, rather than playing them myself, but I loved reading nintendo power and back when i was 12 or something I saw an article about this “chip-hop” group called Supercommuter (who if you haven’t heard them, check them out, they recently dropped a new album) aaaand that’s basically how I was introduced.

After two years of discovering and listening to chip music, watching Reformat the Planet, going to shows, ect. Blip Fest 2011 rolled around and I was determined to go. Unfortunately my ride to the city fell through, so I was left with 30 bucks to spend. Long story short I bought an LSDJ and started making music and it was, and still is, super fun.

The name Parallelis came about because the name “Parallel” was taken on soundcloud.

November 28, 2011 at 12:23 am #2456
vcmg

@Parallelis Supercommuter FTW

November 28, 2011 at 2:48 pm #2461
roboctopus

Roboctopus, checking in. I got into chip music because I like video game music. I used to play Sonic the Hedgehog 2 music from the Genesis when I cleaned my room, haha. I didn’t realize I could make my own real chip music till 2006 when I got into Tree Wave and Bit Shifter. I’ve been dabbling in LSDJ since then. I also play a couple of other instruments.

@vcmg I used Cakewalk for years to record live instruments!

December 3, 2011 at 8:31 pm #2712
bitman

Bitman here. I started loving music in middle school due to being in the band. In high school, I learned various brass instruments and competed on state level for euphonium, tuba, trumpet, and trombone, and managed to compete on a national level for jazz trombone performance. I am a double music minor (brass performance, and electronic music production), and pursuing a CS based degree at University. I currently write and arrange for college and high school bands on the side to make money, and write chiptunes with LSDJ for fun. I write mostly jazz and marching band show tunes for winds, and dubstep/dance for chiptunes. Looking to start a electroswing/dubstep/rock project with a pal, and there will be 80′s rock brass recorded by myself. :3 Currently gathering funds for a talkbox so I can dictate vocal lines using a second GB running LSDJ with the melody. It is impossible to get a chipmusic gig in the Deep South where Roboctopus and I live, so I am forced to perform mostly at open mic nights on campus, etc.

I plan on making chiptunes more than a genre, but a sound that can be applied to new genres and ensemble environments.

December 3, 2011 at 9:33 pm #2719
idevourstatic

Hello Bitman,
thought you might enjoy this seems as your after a talk box http://youtu.be/9EIQxwotn3k they work realy well, just make sure to seal em tight =).

December 4, 2011 at 4:29 am #2759
nestrogen

@bitman: ummm.. I mean I live in ATL and it’s really not that hard to get shows/events in the “BEEP SOUTH.” Just sayin…

December 4, 2011 at 2:15 pm #2770
bitman

I live near Birmingham, where there is no scene, period.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.